1. Tell us a bit about UNCUT VILLAGE RECORDS.
UNCUT VILLAGE RECORDS (UVR) is an independent record label that was started in the Watts community of Los Angeles, California by Darren Todd. UVR developes young music artists, primarily Inn The hip hop/ rap genres, thus opening up opportunities for the disadvantaged throughout the city. Our goal is to reach, teach and empower individuals to be more than their environment shows them on a daily basis.
2. What gave you the idea for your business and how did it start?
The idea of UVR was conceived as I, a music producer, writer, artist and business degree holder witnessed the huge disadvantages for independent artists that doesn’t have the start up capital or big money backers to get them the necessary jump start. It started when I was in college and wrote my first business plan on UVR and receive praise and the suggestion to go for it.
3. What’s your favorite thing about your job?
My favorite thing about my job is that I can give back to people that generally don’t get the opportunities that we provide. There is no feeling like being a positive force to get people to live their best life.
4. What are your keys to making yourself productive?
The key to productivity is to just do it. The only way to be productive is to produce.
5. Tell us one long-term goal in your career.
My long term goal is to make UVR a power house in the industry because with that is lots of employment and benefit to people.
6. What’s the most valuable lesson you’ve learned through the course of your career?
The Most valuable lesson I’ve learned is that you must be prepared to lose if you want to win. The biggest reason people quit trying to achieve their goals is that they take a loss and give up. Never quit.
7. What advice would you give to others aspiring to succeed in your field?
Do your research. Going into a venture half knowing costs lots of time, money and friends.
8. What are your favorite things to do outside of work?
Outside of UVR I spend time eith my family and building my custom car business. I have a love affair with cars and motorcycles.
9. Name a few influential books you’ve read and/or websites you keep up with that you’d recommend to readers.
One of my favorite books is The Prince by Machiavelli. Believe it or not it is a serious strategy for business. I’ve read tons of marketing books. I’m a reader so I’d be all day listing books I like.